WWW.CPRDIESELROSTER.COM

CP RDC-3, RDC-1 : 9020~9072

 

 

 

 

 

9020 9021 9022 9023 9024          
                  9049
9050 9051 9052 9053 9054 9055 9056 9057 9058 9059
9060 9061 9062 9063 9064 9065 9066 9067 9068 9069
9070 9071 9072              

 

 

 

After designing and building a number of light-weight, stainless steel, self propelled cars between 1932 and 1948, the modern Rail Diesel Car (RDC) was introduced to the railway industry by the Budd company on September 17, 1949 in Chicago, Illinois. The Canadian National Railway was the first railway to operate an RDC in Canada when it tested Budd demonstrator #2960 in February, 1951. Two years later, the CPR tested the same Budd #2960 for three weeks between Montreal and Mont Laurier, QC, and received enthusiastic acceptance. The CPR was the first Canadian railway to apply the RDC when it placed an order in September 1953, for three RDC-1's and one RDC-3.

Specifications : Until the end of 1955, all CPR RDC's were powered by two Detroit Diesels (GMC) Model 6-110 engines, each rated at 275 Hp. Each engine drove one set of trucks through a torque converter and drive shaft connected to the axles. From 1956 onwards, an improved version of the Model 6-110 engine rated at 280 Hp. was used. The cars rode on 34" diameter wheels and all had HSC air brake equipment operated by an M-38 brake valve. Maximum allowed top speed was 90 Mph (except for the re-engined #9194 which was restricted to 85 Mph.). The RDC1, RDC-2 and RDC-3 were each 85 feet in length, while the RDC-5 was shorter at 73 feet, 10 inches in length. Budd's recommendation for multiple unit operation was for a maximum of eight cars, but on several occasions CP ran trains of 10 and 12 RDC's in the Montreal area commuter service.

Models : RDC-1 : All passenger coach, with a maximum of 89 passenger seating; RDC-2 : Baggage-Coach, 17 foot baggage section with a maximum of 71 passenger seating; RDC-3 : RPO/Baggage Coach, 30 foot RPO-Baggage section, with a maximum of 48 passenger seating; RDC-4 : RPO Baggage, with no passenger seating. They were equipped with ladders only, no steps; RDC-5 : Not an official Budd Model designation. It was used by CP to describe the eight cars rebuilt from RDC-2's which were actually just RDC-2's with an enlarged baggage area. In CPR service, the mail (RPO) area in the RDC-3's and RDC-4's was mainly used for baggage and the baggage area used for express shipments. In the RDC-2's the baggage area was used for both baggage and express.

 

Note 1 - CPR used the designation "Dayliner" for its RDC's.

Note 2 - After January 1, 1958 any RDC's built for Canadian railways were constructed by the Canadian Car & Foundry Company (CC&F), Lachine, Que. under licence from Budd.  Unfinished car shells were supplied by Budd and completed by CC&F at the Lachine plant.  CPR Cars #9070-#9072, #9115 and #9194-#9199 were thus manufactured by CC&F.  All other cars delivered up to December 31, 1957 were wholly constructed by The Budd Company, Philadelphia, PA.

Note 3 - Until the end of 1955, Budd produced its RDC's with large front windows and a single number board centered on the cab roof.  CPR cars to have this feature were #9020-#9023, #9049-#9057, #9100-#9102, #9116, #9200, #9300 (#9102), #9306 (#9116) and #9307 (#9100). Beginning with 1956 production onwards Budd re-designed the front end with smaller front windows and two number boards, one mounted over each window.  CPR cars with this feature were #9024, #9058-#9072, #9103-#9115, #9194-#9199, #9250-#9251, #9302 (#9199), #9303 (#9110), #9305 (#9114), #9308 (#9194) and #9309 (#9109).

Note 4 - All of CP's RDC's were delivered with the diagonal maroon and gold zebra striping on the end of each carbody which also extended back to cover the access doors.  It was determined that this wasn't visible enough, so about 1964 a new design for safety striping was devised by CP' s Photographic Services Department which was colloquially known as the "warpaint" scheme.  In 1975 when CP began applying 3M reflective tape to its locomotives it was decided that it should be applied to the RDC's as well. Only some cars received the 8" reflective diagonal striping before the 1978 sale of equipment to VIA. Some cars that received it were #9020, #9022, #9055, #9058, #9060, #9067 and #9105.

Note 5 - Only three cars - #9106, #9107 and #9306 - received the VIA paint scheme while retaining their CP road numbers.#9106 and #9107 were lettered for VIA at Angus shops and retained their CP numbers only for a few months until entering Pointe St. Charles shops for re-building.  #9306 may have been lettered for VIA at Ogden shops again before entering Pointe St. Charles shops for re-building.

Note 6 - Two cars - #9050 and #9065 - were never lettered for CP Rail.  They remained in their original "Canadian Pacific" lettering until entering Pointe St. Charles shops for re-building.

 

 

2008 Wilco van Schoonhoven