WWW.CPRDIESELROSTER.COM

CP RDC-2 : 9100~9199

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

After designing and building a number of light-weight, stainless steel, self propelled cars between 1932 and 1948, the modern Rail Diesel Car (RDC) was introduced to the railway industry by the Budd company on September 17, 1949 in Chicago, Illinois. The Canadian National Railway was the first railway to operate an RDC in Canada when it tested Budd demonstrator #2960 in February, 1951. Two years later, the CPR tested the same Budd #2960 for three weeks between Montreal and Mont Laurier, QC, and received enthusiastic acceptance. The CPR was the first Canadian railway to apply the RDC when it placed an order in September 1953, for three RDC-1's and one RDC-3.

Specifications : Until the end of 1955, all CPR RDC's were powered by two Detroit Diesels (GMC) Model 6-110 engines, each rated at 275 Hp. Each engine drove one set of trucks through a torque converter and drive shaft connected to the axles. From 1956 onwards, an improved version of the Model 6-110 engine rated at 280 Hp. was used. The cars rode on 34" diameter wheels and all had HSC air brake equipment operated by an M-38 brake valve. Maximum allowed top speed was 90 Mph (except for the re-engined #9194 which was restricted to 85 Mph.). The RDC1, RDC-2 and RDC-3 were each 85 feet in length, while the RDC-5 was shorter at 73 feet, 10 inches in length. Budd's recommendation for multiple unit operation was for a maximum of eight cars, but on several occasions CP ran trains of 10 and 12 RDC's in the Montreal area commuter service.

Models : RDC-1 : All passenger coach, with a maximum of 89 passenger seating; RDC-2 : Baggage-Coach, 17 foot baggage section with a maximum of 71 passenger seating; RDC-3 : RPO/Baggage Coach, 30 foot RPO-Baggage section, with a maximum of 48 passenger seating; RDC-4 : RPO Baggage, with no passenger seating. They were equipped with ladders only, no steps; RDC-5 : Not an official Budd Model designation. It was used by CP to describe the eight cars rebuilt from RDC-2's which were actually just RDC-2's with an enlarged baggage area. In CPR service, the mail (RPO) area in the RDC-3's and RDC-4's was mainly used for baggage and the baggage area used for express shipments. In the RDC-2's the baggage area was used for both baggage and express.

 

Note 1 - CPR used the designation "Dayliner" for its RDC's.

Note 2 - After January 1, 1958 any RDC's built for Canadian railways were constructed by the Canadian Car & Foundry Company (CC&F), Lachine, Que. under licence from Budd.  Unfinished car shells were supplied by Budd and completed by CC&F at the Lachine plant.  CPR Cars #9070-#9072, #9115 and #9194-#9199 were thus manufactured by CC&F.  All other cars delivered up to December 31, 1957 were wholly constructed by The Budd Company, Philadelphia, PA.

Note 3 - Until the end of 1955, Budd produced its RDC's with large front windows and a single number board centered on the cab roof.  CPR cars to have this feature were #9020-#9023, #9049-#9057, #9100-#9102, #9116, #9200, #9300 (#9102), #9306 (#9116) and #9307 (#9100). Beginning with 1956 production onwards Budd re-designed the front end with smaller front windows and two number boards, one mounted over each window.  CPR cars with this feature were #9024, #9058-#9072, #9103-#9115, #9194-#9199, #9250-#9251, #9302 (#9199), #9303 (#9110), #9305 (#9114), #9308 (#9194) and #9309 (#9109).

Note 4 - All of CP's RDC's were delivered with the diagonal maroon and gold zebra striping on the end of each carbody which also extended back to cover the access doors.  It was determined that this wasn't visible enough, so about 1964 a new design for safety striping was devised by CP' s Photographic Services Department which was colloquially known as the "warpaint" scheme.  In 1975 when CP began applying 3M reflective tape to its locomotives it was decided that it should be applied to the RDC's as well. Only some cars received the 8" reflective diagonal striping before the 1978 sale of equipment to VIA. Some cars that received it were #9020, #9022, #9055, #9058, #9060, #9067 and #9105.

Note 5 - Only three cars - #9106, #9107 and #9306 - received the VIA paint scheme while retaining their CP road numbers.#9106 and #9107 were lettered for VIA at Angus shops and retained their CP numbers only for a few months until entering Pointe St. Charles shops for re-building.  #9306 may have been lettered for VIA at Ogden shops again before entering Pointe St. Charles shops for re-building.

Note 6 - Two cars - #9050 and #9065 - were never lettered for CP Rail.  They remained in their original "Canadian Pacific" lettering until entering Pointe St. Charles shops for re-building.

 

Roadnumber

Serial

Paint Scheme

Model
       

CP 9100

6014

 ---

RDC-2
Built by Budd (3/1955). Converted to RDC-5 configuration at Angus shops, Montreal, QC. (2/1975) and renumbered to CP #9307.
       
CP 9101 6016 --- RDC-2
Built by Budd (3/1955). Wrecked at Mile 64.2 MacLeod Sub (10/24/1959). Retired.
       
CP 9102 6229 --- RDC-2
Built by Budd (9/1955). Converted to RDC-5 configuration at Angus shops, Montreal, QC. (4/1974) and renumbered to CP #9300.
       
CP 9103 6308 --- RDC-2
Built by Budd (6/1956). Sold to VIA Rail (9/1978), became VIA #9103. Wrecked at Didsbury, AB. (8/16/1979). Rebuilt at CN's Pointe St. Charles shops, Montreal, QC. (2/1980) and renumbered to VIA #6213. Sold to Industrial Rail Services, Moncton, NB. (2000).
       
CP 9104 6309 --- RDC-2
Built by Budd (6/1956). Sold to CN (2/1974), became CN #6207. Sold to VIA Rail (9/1978), became VIA #6207. Sold to Industrial Rail Services, Moncton, NB. (2000).
       
CP 9105 6310 --- RDC-2
Built by Budd (6/1956). Sold to VIA Rail (9/1978), became VIA #9105. Rebuilt at CN's Pointe St. Charles shops, Montreal, QC. (1/1980) and renumbered to VIA #6212. Sold to Industrial Rail Services, Moncton, NB. (2000).
       
CP 9106 6311 --- RDC-2
Built by Budd (7/1956). Sold to VIA Rail (9/1978), became VIA #9106. Rebuilt at CP's Angus shops, Montreal, QC. (4/1979). CN/VIA weren't satisfied with the work done, so it was rebuilt again at CN's Pointe St. Charles shops, Montreal, QC. (9/1980), and renumbered to VIA #6214. Sold to Farmrail System, Clinton OK. (1999).
       
CP 9107 6312 --- RDC-2
Built by Budd (7/1956). Sold to VIA Rail (9/1978), became VIA #9107. Rebuilt at CP's Angus shops, Montreal, QC. (3/1979). CN/VIA weren't satisfied with the work done, so it was rebuilt again at CN's Pointe St. Charles shops, Montreal, QC. (9/1980), and renumbered to VIA #6215. Currently assigned to the "Lake Superior", between Sudbury and White River, ON.
       
CP 9108 6313 --- RDC-2
Built by Budd (7/1956). Modified to a Railway Technology Exhibit Car (1978) and renumbered to CP #91. Stored at Ogden shops, Calgary AB.
       
CP 9109 6314 --- RDC-2
Built by Budd (7/1956). Converted to RDC-5 configuration at Angus shops, Montreal, QC. (4/1975) and renumbered to CP #9309.
       
CP 9110 6503 --- RDC-2
Built by Budd (9/1956). Converted to RDC-5 configuration at Angus shops, Montreal, QC. (3/1975) and renumbered to CP #9303.
       
CP 9111 6504 --- RDC-2
Built by Budd (10/1956). Sold to VIA Rail (9/1978), became VIA #9111. Rebuilt at CN's Pointe St. Charles shops, Montreal, QC. (12/1981) and renumbered to VIA #6219. Sold to Industrial Rail Services, Moncton, NB. (2000).
       
CP 9112 6607 --- RDC-2
Built by Budd (2/1957). Sold to VIA Rail (9/1978), became VIA #9112. Rebuilt at CN's Pointe St. Charles shops, Montreal, QC. (10/1979) and renumbered to VIA #6211. Sold to BC Rail (6/1990) and renumbered to BC-23. Retired (1995). Stripped to a bare carbody and blown up for the TV series "X files" at Porteau Cove, B.C. (11/14/1995). Remains sold for scrap to ABC Recyclers, South Burnaby, B.C.
       
CP 9113 6608 --- RDC-2
Built by Budd (2/1957). Wrecked at Red Deer, AB. (6/23/1975). Moved to CP's Glen yard and stored. Sold to VIA Rail (9/1978), became VIA #9113. Moved to CN's Pointe St. Charles shops, Montreal QC. (5/1980) for rebuilding. However, it was determined that it was too badly damaged. Stripped for parts. Remains sold for scrap to Dominion Metals & Refining Works, St. Constant QC. (1985).
       
CP 9114 6609 --- RDC-2
Built by Budd (2/1957). Converted to RDC-5 configuration at Angus shops, Montreal, QC. (3/1975) and renumbered to CP #9305.
       
CP 9115 6913 --- RDC-2
Built by CC&F (5/1958). Sold to VIA Rail (9/1978), became VIA #9115. Rebuilt at CN's Transcona Shops, Winnipeg MB. (11/1981) and renumbered to VIA #6217. Sold to Industrial Rail Services, Moncton, NB. (2000).
       
CP 9116   --- RDC-2
Built by Budd as Lehigh Valley #41 (6/1951). Purchased by CP (9/1958) and renumbered to CP #9116. Converted to RDC-5 configuration at Angus shops, Montreal, QC. (3/1975) and renumbered to CP #9306.
       
CP 9194 6906 --- RDC-2
Built by CC&F (2/1958). Equipped with two Rolls Royce 311 Horsepower engines (3/15/1961) until the early 1970's when it had it's original Detroit Diesel (GMC) 280 Hp. engines reinstalled. Converted to RDC-5 configuration at Angus shops, Montreal, QC. (2/1975) and renumbered to CP #9308.
       
CP 9195 6907 --- RDC-2
Built by CC&F (2/1958). Sold to CN (2/1974), became CN #6208. Sold to VIA Rail (9/1978), became VIA #6208. Sold to Industrial Rail Services, Moncton, NB. (2000).
       
CP 9196 6908 --- RDC-2
Built by CC&F (2/1958). Sold to CN (2/1974), became CN #6209. Sold to VIA Rail (9/1978), became VIA #6209. Fire damaged at Shakespeare, ON. (9/9/1983) and never repaired. Stripped for parts at CN's Pointe St. Charles shops, Montreal, QC. Remains sold for scrap to Dominion Metals & Refining Works, St. Constant QC. (1985).
       
CP 9197 6909 --- RDC-2
Built by CC&F (2/1958). Sold to CN (2/1974), became CN #6210. Sold to VIA Rail (9/1978), became VIA #6210. Fire damaged at Kingston, ON. (9/1983) and never repaired. Stripped for parts at CN's Pointe St. Charles shops, Montreal, QC. Remains sold for scrap to Dominion Metals & Refining Works, St. Constant QC. (1985).
       
CP 9198 6910 --- RDC-2
Built by CC&F (2/1958). Wrecked at Beddington, AB. (10/1969). Moved to Angus shops, Montreal, QC., and stripped for parts. Remains scrapped (3/1974).
       
CP 9199 6911 --- RDC-2
Built by CC&F (2/1958). Converted to RDC-5 configuration at Angus shops, Montreal, QC. (6/1975) and renumbered to CP #9302.

 

 

2008 Wilco van Schoonhoven