CP 1684 AT SMITHS FALLS, ON.
Built by : GMD
Built in : 1950 as TH&B 74
Serial Number : A 120
Class : DS-17
Paint Scheme : CP Rail no-Multimark
This Photo : Bill Sanderson, 1997
Other Photos (chronological) :
1. TH&B 74 at Toronto, ON., painted in the TH&B Maroon/Cream paint scheme. Photographer unknown, 1972. From the Bill Sanderson collection;
2. CP 1684 at Toronto, ON., painted in the CP Rail no-Multimark paint scheme. Photo by Bill Sanderson, 1988;
3. CP 1684 at Winnipeg, MB., painted in the CP Rail no-Multimark paint scheme. Photo by A. Ross Harrison, 2014;
4. CP 1684 at Winnipeg, MB., painted in the CP Rail no-Multimark paint scheme. Photo by A. Ross Harrison, 2014.
Paint Data : CP Rail no-Multimark
Notes : Built by GMD as TH&B GP7 #74 (1950), acquired by CP, rebuilt with a 1,750 Hp. 16-567C engine block, chop-nosed and renumbered to #1684 (1987). Unit has no dynamic brakes. Equipped with CANAC remote control 'beltpack' equipment. Mated with Slug #1002. Retired (5/2013).
* : Originally built as a GP7, this unit received a 1,750 Hp.16-567C engine replacing the original 1,500 Hp. 16-567B engine when overhauled and renumbered to #1684, technically making it a GP9u unit. CP retains the GP7u designation for the ex-TH&B units numbered in the #1682-1687 group.